The Library

The Carnegie building served as the city library from 1913 – 1995 when it was determined that the facility was no longer large enough to serve the needs of the community. At that time, the library was relocated to a 13,000 sq. ft. leased facility in Danielson’s Hilltop Mall at the corner of Molalla & Warner Milne Road. In 2010 this space was no longer available, so the library returned to the 6,500 sq. ft. historic Carnegie building as a temporary solution.

Earlier, in November 2008, voters had approved formation of the Clackamas County Library District which provided stable operating funds for the member libraries and the County offered each member library one million dollars for capital improvements. (In other words, $1M to build a new library or improve an existing one.)

After an extensive analytical and investigative process, the Library Board and the City of Oregon City decided to meet the need for a larger library by expanding the historic Carnegie Library on the Library Park site. Construction has begun.

The construction cam is now available! Click here to view the latest.

For more information about building plans, go to the OC Library website.

Carnegie